Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The Associate Building Services Officer will work closely with administration, programme, shelter/wash, security and other relevant units, and will cover all civil work required in a UNHCR office. The incumbent is normally supervised by the Senior Administrative or Finance Officer, who defines the work objectives and provides direction. The incumbent may functionally supervise staff in the general service category, specifically those working in property management.
The Associate Building Services Officer will maintain updated data on modifications, and alternations and will provide technical and specialized guidance and support related to the implementation of civil engineering activities of UNHCR premises, staff housing, refugee registration centers, warehouses and other structures within the area of responsibility (AOR) in accordance with the prevailing rules and regulations. Furthermore, the incumbent provides technical inputs to the development of technical documents (technical drawings, bills of quantity, technical assessment of offers, measurements of quantities of works and supply of materials, etc.).
The incumbent is responsible for maintaining hard and soft copies of project and technical documentation and will have contacts with UNHCR staff, technical counterparts in other UN agencies, commercial service providers, partners, etc. on relevant subject matters in close coordination with the direct supervisor.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable for performing their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR’s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- Prepare plans and specifications for office premises, warehouses, refugee reception/registration centers and any land and building projects within the AOR according to operational needs.
- Provide civil engineering advice and technical guidance for management of office buildings including support for tendering processes as well as development of service contracts. Work closely with security and others, if necessary, in maintaining/installing technical security installations in the buildings under the AOR.
- Conduct regular periodic physical visits to UNHCR office premises, warehouses and refugee receptions/registration centres, etc. to monitor their status.
- In cooperation with relevant technical units and departments, formulate proposals for disposal of premises and/or support identification, selection and alteration of new buildings/ premises considering also the environmental impact of actions.
- Conduct market research and recommend the selection of engineering/construction consultants and contractors.
- Recommend civil engineering solutions to buildings/office premises/warehouse construction projects, refugee reception/registration centers and other projects within the AOR when and as needed.
- Ensure timely delivery of civil engineering projects, according to “best practices” and prevailing UNHCR rules and regulations.
- Analyze relevant data and draft status reports and updates.
- Draft quotation requests and/or tenders and contribute to the evaluation of offers and proposals.
- Monitor and support the implementation of office premises projects.
- Analyse and report on the quality of services delivered by contractors in relation to premises projects with reference to contractual quality standards.
- Support the wider UN greening initiative.
- Support the identification and management of risks and seek to seize opportunities impacting objectives in the area of responsibility. Ensure decision-making in risk based in the functional area of work. Raise risks, issues and concerns to a supervisor or to a relevant functional colleague(s).
- Perform other related duties as required.
Years of Experience / Degree Level
- For P2/NOB – 3 years relevant experience with an Undergraduate degree; or 2 years relevant experience with a Graduate degree; or 1 year relevant experience with a Doctorate degree
Field(s) of Education
- Civil Engineering; Architecture; or other relevant field.
Certificates and/or Licenses
Relevant Job Experience
- Minimum 1 year of previous relevant professional job experience with special reference to documented construction supervision.
- Good working knowledge of the following software: AutoCAD (2D), Microsoft Project, MS Office
- Experience in all disciplines of civil engineering, emergency management and environmental planning, and ability to make the linkages to rehabilitation and development programmes.
- Previous professional experience in the areas of urban development, natural resources and environmental management.
- Familiarity with, and Field exposure to UNHCR programme planning and implementation and on humanitarian operations.
- *IT-Computer Assisted Design Software (e.g. AutoCAD)
- PG-UNHCR’s Programmes
- SP-Infrastructure Development/Construction Management/Property Management
- SP-CAD 3D modeling for Settlement Analysis (eg. Infraworks, Civil 3D)
- MG-Project Management
- SP-Environmental Assessment/Planning/Monitoring/Evaluation of integrated projects/programs
- EV-Environmental Mainstreaming
- EV-Sustainable Environmental Land Use Management
- PR-Local/Urban Development
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
- For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and the UN working language of the duty station if not English.
- For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
- For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
Join Our Telegram if You did not join it Already
Join us on Telegram ስራዎችን በቴሌግራም ለመከታተል ይህንን ይጫኑ
Stay in Touch and follow us on our Social Media Platforms to Get the Latest Updates for the Latest opportunities: Facebook Page
Interested applicants can apply before the closing date of the application. For more information please read the full article
Deadline: Nov 28, 2023