Ethiopian Human Rights Commission (EHRC) is looking for qualified candidates to fill the following position.
Purpose of the Job:
Conduct the day-to-day monitoring activities related to Human Rights in the different sectors and at different levels, for the promotion and protection of refugees, IDPs’ and migrants rights, with a special focus on migrants’ rights.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Contribute to the design and implementation of strategies aiming at enhanced promotion and protection of refugees, IDP’s and migrants human rights through regular and continuous monitoring and reporting;
- Conduct monitoring on selected institutions to assess whether their policies and procedures are in compliance with international and regional human rights standards and produce reports with concrete remedial recommendations.
- Conduct fact-finding missions and investigation into human rights abuses, including systemic human rights violation on refugees, IDP’s and migrants including through close cooperation with relevant stakeholders, human rights actors and the community with the aim at promoting and protecting their human rights or seeking remedial actions by relevant authorities to prevent similar violations from occurring in the future;
- Ensure, coordinate and supervise the timely entry of accurate and verified human rights cases related to refugees, IDP’s and migrants into an established database;
- Contribute to and/or draft various human rights reports, communications, briefing notes, statement or other products;
- Conduct quality control, follow up on recommendations forwarded by relevant international and regional human rights bodies, by EHRC; and deliver statistics and trend reports as required;
- Collaborate with team members and establish and maintain contacts with technical staff of government and non-governmental institutions, civil society organizations, UN agencies, private sector, development partners and other partners focusing on monitoring of refugees, IDP’s and migrants rights.
- Conduct mapping of stakeholders and set up referral system to provide support to refugees, IDP’s and migrants who suffered human rights violation and are in need of support;
- Collaborate with international and regional human rights system in general and more specifically in relation to refugees, IDP’s and migrants to follow up on recommendations and regular reporting on the human rights situation of refugees, IDP’s and migrants to relevant international and regional human rights treaty bodies;
- Assist in conducting capacity-building activities on relevant human rights and in developing and implementing training programs;
- Ensure mainstreaming of refugees, IDP’s and migrants rights as relevant in other EHRC’s activities and programming;
- Ensure the integration of gender perspectives, with specific attention to issues related to women and girls, including gender based violence;
- Participate in investigation of cases of human rights violations involving refugees, IDP’s and migrants as needed;
- Collaborate and participate in discussion forums set in institutions and organizations, including other NHRIs for joint programming, sharing of experience and promising practices, regarding the application of rights of refugees, IDP’s and migrants in their policies and organizational operations.
- Provide technical support and inputs to requesting groups/victims on refugees, IDP’s and migrants human rights.
- Assure that every operation and activity adhere to legal guidelines and internal policies of EHRC and international and regional human rights standards;
- Keep the Director informed with regular detailed and accurate reports on progress and hurdles of monitoring works conducted by the Team.
- Perform additional assignments and delegations given by the Director.
REPORT TO Director, Refugees, IDPs and Migrants Rights
DURATION Contract/definite Period-One Year
SALARY RANGE: Gross monthly salary of ETB 22,989.00- ETB 27,380.00 plus ETB 7,200.00 Housing allowance and ETB 2,200.00 Transport allowance, depending on candidates’ qualification, experience and earning history
Interested candidates should write a covering letter, explaining why they are interested in this role, why you are the right person for the job with a recent CV which should be sent to the following email address: HRM@ehrc.org
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview and written exam.
Stay in Touch and follow us on our Social Media Platforms to Get the Latest Updates for the Latest opportunities: Facebook Page
Interested applicants can apply before the closing date of the application. For more information please read the full article