Purpose of Job
The Laboratory Scientist — Biochemistry is responsible for performing a variety of biochemical tests to diagnose and monitor diseases. This includes performing assays, interpreting results, and reporting findings to physicians and other healthcare professionals. The Laboratory Scientist will also work to maintain and calibrate laboratory equipment and supplies.
This job involves the following main functions that are generally applicable for this category:
- Assist in following up on the activities of the division, including monitoring and evaluating progress made in line with a predefined strategic plan.
- Suggest new and expand on existing policy areas for planned research.
- Contribute to conducting analysis and generate accurate reports in a timely manner for the respective Unit/Division and AU’s internal use.
- Assist in setting the overall research direction of a relevant policy area.
- Responsible for the delegation and execution of defined research areas.
- Participate in the organization of relevant meetings, congresses and conferences with stakeholders.
- Engage with relevant mid-level stakeholders and develop working relationships. Support the promotion of the activities of the Division including preparing leaflets, guidelines and fact sheets.
- Assist in drafting reports and participate in the preparation of budget and work programmes related to the functioning of the Unit/Division
- Provide technical support to internal and external stakeholders
- Perform a variety of biochemical tests, such as enzyme assays, protein electrophoresis, and blood gas analysis.
- Responsible for performing biochemical analyses on various biological samples, such as blood, urine, saliva, and tissue, using advanced laboratory equipment and techniques.
- Developing and validating new methods, protocols, and standards for biochemical testing, as well as ensuring quality control and assurance of the laboratory processes and results.
- Work closely with other laboratory staff, clinicians, researchers, and external partners to support the Africa CDC’s mission of strengthening public health capacity and response in Africa.
- Interpret test results and report findings to physicians and other healthcare professionals.
- Maintain and calibrate laboratory equipment and supplies.
- Train and supervise laboratory technicians.
- Participate in research projects.
- Stay up-to-date on new biochemical techniques and technologies.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- Master’s degree or equivalent OR Bachelor’s Degree in biochemistry, biotechnology, molecular biology, or a related field from a recognized institution, coupled with two (2) OR five (5) years relevant work experience in a clinical or research laboratory setting, preferably in biochemistry or molecular diagnostics
- Proficiency in using various laboratory instruments and software, such as spectrophotometers, chromatographs, mass spectrometers, PCR machines, ELISA readers, and LIMS
- Knowledge of current best practices and standards in biochemical testing, quality management systems, biosafety, and biosecurity
- Ability to design, conduct, analyze, interpret, and report biochemical experiments with accuracy and precision
- Experience with laboratory information systems (LIS).
- Experience with molecular biology techniques.
- Experience with clinical research.
- Excellent communication, teamwork, problem-solving, and critical-thinking skills
- Fluency in English and French, both written and spoken
- Willingness to travel within Africa and internationally as required
- Strong knowledge of biochemical principles and techniques.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strategic Insight
- Developing Others
- Change Management
- Managing Risk
- Teamwork and Collaboration
- Fosters Accountability Culture
- Learning Orientation
- Communicating with Influence
- Analytical Thinking and Problem Solving
- Job Knowledge and information sharing
- Drive for Results
- Continuous Improvement Focus
TENURE OF APPOINTMENT:
The Appointment will be made on a fixed-term contract for a period of one (1) year, of which the first three (3) months will be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract may be renewed for a similar period subject to funding availability, satisfactory performance and agreed deliverables.
The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Kiswahili, Portuguese, and Spanish) is mandatory and fluency in another AU language is an added advantage
The salary attached to the position is an annual lump sum of US$ 85,212.07 (P2 Step 5) inclusive of all allowances for internationally recruited staff, and US$ 66,751.81 inclusive of all allowances for locally recruited staff of the African Union Commission.
Applications must be submitted no later than December 14, 2023 11h59 p.m. EAT.
- Only candidates who meet all job requirements and are selected for interviews will be contacted.
- Consideration will be given only to those candidates who have submitted a fully completed online application with a curriculum vitae (CV), an African passport, and the required academic qualifications, such as Diplomas, Bachelor’s degrees, Master’s degrees and any relevant certificate in line with the area of expertise.
- The African Union is an equal-opportunity employer, and female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Candidates from less-represented countries within the African Union are strongly encouraged to apply for positions that fit their profiles. These countries include Algeria, Angola, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Comoros, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Eswatini, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Mali, Morocco, Namibia, Niger, Sahrawi D.R., Sao Tome and Principe., Seychelles, Somalia and Tunisia.
Join Our Telegram if You did not join it Already
Join us on Telegram ስራዎችን በቴሌግራም ለመከታተል ይህንን ይጫኑ
Stay in Touch and follow us on our Social Media Platforms to Get the Latest Updates for the Latest opportunities: Facebook Page
Interested applicants can apply before the closing date of the application. For more information please read the full article
Deadline: Dec 14, 2023