BACKGROUND: The International Rescue Committee, one of the world’s largest humanitarian international NGOs, provides relief, rehabilitation and development support to vulnerable people and communities in over 40 countries. We began work in Ethiopia in 2000 in response to severe drought in Ethiopia’s Somali region and are currently providing assistance to Ethiopians and refugees in six regions in Ethiopia, implementing emergency and development programs in health, water and sanitation, economic recovery and development (ERD), women’s protection and empowerment, education, child protection, and multi-sectoral emergency response.
The Pharmacy officer is a member of the IRC health team and will be responsible for supporting the implementation of the IRC MHNTs activities in the Tigray Region. (S)He will primarily coordinate and implement effective medical logistics for the emergency health and nutrition program, from strategic design to implementation of timely and appropriate medical supplies management, in line with organizational and international standards.
- Set up and maintain robust, practical, and comprehensive documentation (SOPs, assessments, protocols and tools) relating to medicines management and pharmaceutical care in emergencies.
- Set up a functional drug management system for emergency health programs according to the IRC policy.
- Manage field pharmaceutical supply chain management, including storage, distribution, medicines management within healthcare facilities, healthcare waste management, controlled drug management, and software systems for commodity management.
- Support initiatives in improving access to quality medicines during emergencies.
- Ensure regular inventory and consumption tracking of medical drugs and supplies.
- Work with MHNT staff to ensure prompt requesting of medical drugs and supplies.
- Work with the supply chain and program team to ensure effective procurement plans and warehouse management of all medical drugs, equipment, and supplies.
- Manage safe waste management of drugs and medical supplies.
- Maintain open and professional relations with team members, promoting a strong team spirit and providing guidance to enable staff to successfully perform in their positions.
- Maintain up-to-date stock inventories.
- Compile and submit stock consumption reports.
- Consistently and proactively monitor/assess the safety and security of the team; promptly report concerns or incidents to IRC management and liaise with community leaders and other external parties as required to maintain/enhance the security environment for IRC programs.
- Other duties as assigned by the supervisor to enable and develop IRC programs.
- Excellent communication skills, good spoken and writing of concise reports in Tigrinya and English.
- Good technical and report writing skills with computer skills and knowledge.
- Must be a team player with excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work under pressure in a stressful environment, displaying patience, compassion, and diplomacy.
- Ability to be innovative, flexible, adaptive, and willing to work out of hours, sometimes throughout the night.
- Ability to live in challenging conditions and ability to work under difficult, high-pressure situations.
- BSc/MSc in Clinical Pharmacy or Pharmacy.
Preferred experience & skills:
- Minimum of 2 years for BSc holder and 1 year for MSc holder and significant field operations experience supporting emergency activities.
- Experience in medical procurement and in pharmaceutical supply chain management (warehousing, stock control, transport, distribution)
- Experience working in the NGO sector, within complex/large-scale country programs and in emergency response/humanitarian environments.
- Experience in conducting pharmacy, supply chain or health assessments, particularly in an emergency context.
- Experience in Public Health relating to Essential Medicines, National Drug Policies, Quality Assurance, or clinical pharmacy is a plus.
- Amharic, and English. Local language Tigrigna is advantageous.
Join Our Telegram if You did not join it Already
Join us on Telegram ስራዎችን በቴሌግራም ለመከታተል ይህንን ይጫኑ
Stay in Touch and follow us on our Social Media Platforms to Get the Latest Updates for the Latest opportunities: Facebook Page
Interested applicants can apply before the closing date of the application. For more information please read the full article
Deadline: Dec 2, 2023