Background Information – Job-specific
UNOPS supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices, always satisfying or surpassing our partners’ expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it.
A flexible structure and global reach mean that we can quickly respond to our partners’ needs while offering the benefits of economies of scale.
Ethiopia Multi-country Office (ETMCO) sub-region currently consists of an established Operation Centre in Addis Ababa which manages a portfolio of engagements in four (4) Horn of Africa countries (Ethiopia, Djibouti, Sudan and South Sudan). ETMCO focuses on Infrastructure, Procurement, Project Management, HR and Transactional Services, and Fund Management services across a wide range of sectors including Health, Education, Agriculture, and Resilient infrastructure among others.
Our goal is to support countries, help people in need and enable our partners through delivering on our mandate of infrastructure, procurement and project management in the countries in the Horn of Africa. Building on our global experience of successfully delivering projects in complex operating environments, a healthy pipeline of engagements is at various stages of discussion with our priority partners.
UNOPS has signed a project agreement with the Ministry of Health to strengthen the Capacity of the Ministry for the Realization of Health Sector Transformation Plan (HSTP-II) on selected priorities. This project will be implemented in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia and the overall objective/purpose is to contribute towards the realization of selected strategic priorities of the Health Sector Transformation Plan (HSTP-II) which is more on project management focusing on institutional capacity building, technical assistance, etc. UNOPS is selected to manage and implement the project by creating a project management unit (PMU).
This unit will be formed by a group of experts and specialists in the relevant matters that will be in charge of delivering the outputs.
The Project Management Support – Senior Officer will have a dual line of reporting. First and foremost to the UNOPS Project Manager, with a functional reporting line for deliverables produced under the assignment to the client institution: Strategic Affairs Office
- Enhance informed decision-making and innovation
- Improve health financing
Scope of Work/ Objective
The Project Management Support – Senior Officer will support the Strategic Affairs Executive Office of the Ministry of Health on the implementation of HSTP II mainly from the health system financing, grant management and logistics strengthening perspective. Besides day-to-day advice, he/she will prepare proposal documents, initiate concept notes for innovative resource mobilization, review Civic Society Organizations project documents including evaluation of their performance, fully engage in grant management specific to MOU and Agreement signed with bilateral and multilateral organizations, develop analytical products in the form of advisory notes, reviews, assessments leading to policy papers, as well as provide direct ad-hoc strategic advice as required by the target beneficiaries.
- Prepare concept notes for the mobilization of financial resources and solicit potential sources of fund
- Prepare proposal documents for innovative resource mobilization
- Review project documents submitted by Civic Society Organizations for approval and engage in the project performance evaluation
- Prepare a Memorandum of Understanding and Agreement to be signed with bilateral and multilateral organizations
- Provide high-level technical support to different work streams in overseas Procurement, Supply chain management, fleet management, Financial management and utilization, health infrastructure development and others;
- Engage full-time on grant management and regularly follow the implementation of the grant mainly European Union, UNICEF, and UNOPS and provide regular reports and technical feedback to SAEC and top-level management;
- Support the resource mobilization activities and ensure that the agreed funds are made available on time for implementation and work closely with each implementing party to provide support and monitoring of the implementation of the grantee’s activities;
- Coordinate with and facilitate and arrange capacity-building interventions in the areas of efficient resource mobilization and utilization;
- Liaise between MoH and different agencies under the Ministry of health in the priority areas stated in the scope of the assignment;
- Represent the SAEO and coordinate and participate in different meetings related to resource management;
- Coordinate and participate in different donors visit and provide status update and technical briefings with respect to resource management; and
- Undertake other assignments within the scope of the role
- High-level advisory is provided to the state minister of health (SAEO) on the implementation of the Health Sector Transformation Plan with respect to efficient resource mobilization and utilization, proposal development, grant management, health partnership, logistics development and other priorities
- Development partners are better coordinated and more resources are mobilized
- Grant management on specific projects EU, UNICEF and UNOPS related MOU and agreement are properly in place and reported timely
- Different work streams under the SAEO in project management and Financial management and utilization, logistics and infrastructure development and others; are well-supported
- MoH own staff are coached and mentored in policy dialogues, resource mobilization and partnership and coordination and knowledge transfer
- Monthly and quarterly progress reports submitted
- The above deliverables are only indicative and are subject to change within the scope of the role.
- Advanced University Degree (Master’s Degree or equivalent) in Public Health, Business Administration, Project Management, Accounting or other related fields is required. OR
- First-level University Degree (Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent) in Public Health, Business Administration, Project Management, Accounting or other related fields with an additional two (2) years of relevant experience may be considered in lieu of the advanced degree.
- At least two (2) years of proven experience in work directly related to high-level management positions in health systems strengthening and program management is required.
- Proven experience in health system resource mobilization, procurement, logistics and supply chain management is desirable.
- In-depth understanding and analytical capacity across issues related to health system strengthening, and fund management, with a focus on decentralized, evidence-based planning, prioritization and monitoring is desirable.
- Experience working with development partners, the federal Ministry of Health, and regional health bureaus is desirable.
- Good communication and negotiation skills are desirable.
- Fluency in spoken, written and reading English is required.
- Knowledge of another UN official language is an asset.
- Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
- Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as a positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
- Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
- Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
- Open to change and flexible in a fast-paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
- Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
- Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
Contract type, level, and duration
Contract type: Local Individual Contractor Agreement (LICA)
Contract level: LICA-9 (ICS9)
Contract duration: One year, with the possibility of extension.
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
This is a local position and hence is open to Ethiopian nationals only.
- Please note that UNOPS does not accept unsolicited resumes.
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process, which involves various assessments.
- UNOPS embraces diversity and is committed to equal employment opportunity. Our workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages, races, gender identities, sexual orientations, and abilities. UNOPS seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce.
- Qualified women and candidates from groups that are underrepresented in the UNOPS workforce are encouraged to apply. These include in particular candidates from racialized and/or indigenous groups, members of minority gender identities and sexual orientations, and people with disabilities.
- We would like to ensure all candidates perform at their best during the assessment process. If you are shortlisted and require additional assistance to complete any assessment, including reasonable accommodation, please inform our human resources team when you receive an invitation.
Terms and Conditions
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post.
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (they take around 4 hours to complete) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- All UNOPS personnel are responsible for performing their duties in accordance with the UN Charter and UNOPS Policies and Instructions, as well as other relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, all personnel must demonstrate an understanding of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in a manner consistent with UN core values and the UN Common Agenda.
- It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential personnel. Recruitment in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
To apply for a vacancy, please create a UNOPS Jobs Account using the below apply. This involves submitting details such as personal information, education, experience, languages, skills, and other information
Join Our Telegram if You did not join it Already
Join us on Telegram ስራዎችን በቴሌግራም ለመከታተል ይህንን ይጫኑ
Stay in Touch and follow us on our Social Media Platforms to Get the Latest Updates for the Latest opportunities: Facebook Page
Interested applicants can apply before the closing date of the application. For more information please read the full article
Deadline: Sep 25, 2023