The International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) – Ethiopian Strategy Support Program (ESSP) seeks to hire a Research Officer II who will be supporting IFPRI researchers within development and agricultural economics research and contributing to research design and empirical analysis of primary and secondary data in IFPRI’s research areas: ensuring sustainable food production; promoting healthy food systems; improving markets and trade; transforming agriculture; building resilience; and strengthening institutions and governance.
The Research Officer II is expected to provide support to ongoing research activities on social protection policies, gender and food system research that IFPRI researchers are currently implementing. He/she will be a member of the program which is based at the International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) campus in Addis Ababa.
IFPRI is one of the international agricultural research institutes organized under the CGIAR Consortium. The mandate of IFPRI is to identify and analyze alternative national and international strategies and policies for meeting world food needs in ways that conserve the natural resource base, with emphasis on low-income and poorer groups in the countries. With a vision for a world free of hunger and malnutrition, IFPRI’s mission is to provide research-based policy solutions that sustainably reduce poverty and end hunger and malnutrition.
Main duties & responsibilities:
- Be a key part of a dynamic global research team implementing CGIAR initiative on National Policies and Strategies (NPS) across several countries, including Ethiopia;
- Contribute to ongoing gender research in Kenya and Ethiopia;
- Provide general research support, including data collection and analysis; preparation of presentation materials; support with manuscript preparation; etc;
- Manage large quantitative household surveys, focus group discussions, key informant interviews, and other qualitative data collection tasks;
- Conduct statistical and econometric analyses;
- Process and synthesize secondary data, conduct advanced statistical analyses and translate the research findings into reports, briefs, articles, periodicals and newsletters;
- Conduct literature reviews and other background analyses to support the design of calls for expressions of interest/proposals;
- Organize seminars, workshops, and other learning events;
- Assist in the preparation of journal articles, and reports and ensure timely and accurate dissemination of research findings to the relevant government authorities and donors;
- Manage routine administrative matters related to impact assessment studies, including communications with study teams;
- Read and review completed impact studies and impact study designs;
- Communicate research findings to external audiences as appropriate;
- Any other responsibilities assigned by the supervisor and/or management.
- Master’s degree in Economics, Agricultural Economics, or related discipline
- Broad/specialized knowledge of impact assessment methods, techniques, and processes
- Five years of relevant professional experience.
- Research experience (having worked on seed systems, extension, and technology adoption)
- Experience in knowledge sharing/capacity development
- Experience in managing large household surveys
- Experience in writing reports/journal articles or other knowledge products
- Experience in managing events and seminars
- Advanced proficiency in using statistical packages like Stata, R, and SAS. Advanced Stata skills are needed and knowledge of R would be a plus
- Excellent quantitative analytical skills
- Thorough knowledge of Microsoft Office applications for word processing, and spreadsheets; experience with graphics and data management
- Excellent knowledge of both written and spoken English
- Prior knowledge of GIS and remote sensing would be advantageous
- Previous work experience in agriculture and genetic resources-related research would be preferred
- Professionalism and integrity: Able to apply ethics, principles, standards, and expertise in all areas of work
- Results-oriented: Able to recognize bottlenecks timely and identify solutions; able to meet agreed-upon deadlines and set goals; focused on all tasks
- Travel: Ability and willingness to travel nationally and internationally as necessary
- Interpersonal relations: Good interpersonal communication and facilitation skills; able to work with and relate to others in mutual support and with respect towards common goals and shared vision; able to build and nurture strong and authentic reciprocal relationships; committed to non-domineering or patronizing attitudes and/or behaviors
- Respect for diversity: Being able to work effectively, respectfully, and inclusively with people from different backgrounds and with different perspectives is critical for all staff members
- Communication: Able to express oneself, share and exchange information clearly and in a timely style
- Innovation and creativity: Able to generate new ideas and ways of working to continuously improve existing work processes, practices, and concepts.
Duty Station: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Job level: HG 14.
Monthly Base Salary: Birr 48,846 (Negotiable depending on the salary history of the candidate).
Terms of appointment: This is a National Staff (NS) position and the appointment is fixed term for one year which will be renewable based on performance and funding availability. The ILRI remuneration package for nationally recruited staff in Ethiopia includes very competitive salaries and benefits such as life and medical insurance, offshore pension plans, etc.
How to Apply
Applicants should provide a cover letter and curriculum vitae; names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to be included in the curriculum vitae. The position and reference number: REF: RO/ESSP/31/23 should be clearly indicated in the subject line of the cover letter.
All applications are to be submitted online on our recruitment portal: by clicking on the “Apply” tab above before 24 November 2023.
IFPRI/ILRI does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing or training).
Suitably qualified women are particularly encouraged to apply.
Join Our Telegram if You did not join it Already
Join us on Telegram ስራዎችን በቴሌግራም ለመከታተል ይህንን ይጫኑ
Stay in Touch and follow us on our Social Media Platforms to Get the Latest Updates for the Latest opportunities: Facebook Page
Interested applicants can apply before the closing date of the application. For more information please read the full article
Deadline: Nov 24, 2023