The International Rescue Committee, one of the world’s largest humanitarian international NGOs, provides relief, rehabilitation and development support to vulnerable people and communities over 30 countries. We began work in Ethiopia in 2000 in response to severe drought in Ethiopia’s Somali region and are currently providing assistance to Ethiopians and refugees in six regions in Ethiopia, implementing emergency and development programs in health, water and sanitation, economic recovery, and development (ERD), women’s protection and empowerment, education, child protection, and multi-sectoral emergency response.
The International Rescue Committee, one of the world’s largest humanitarian international NGOs, provides relief, rehabilitation and development support to vulnerable people and communities over 40 countries. We began work in Ethiopia in 2000 in response to severe drought in Ethiopia’s Somali region and are currently providing assistance to Ethiopians and refugees in six regions in Ethiopia, implementing emergency and development programs in health, water and sanitation, economic recovery, and development (ERD), women’s protection and empowerment, education, child protection, and multi-sectoral emergency response.
IRC is seeking a Roving Infrastructure Officer for a five-year project, “Play Matters”, funded by the LEGO Foundation in its Jigjiga Field Office. This position will be a part of the larger Play Matters initiative to increase play-based learning opportunities for nearly 1 million pre- primary and primary school-aged refugee and host community children whose education has been impacted by humanitarian crises. The post holder will lead the rehabilitation of schools and community play spaces in identified locations under the direction of the Deputy Project Coordinator.
Major Key Responsibilities:
– Coordinating and supervising all site operatives’ works, ensuring that all work is delivered timely and with the required quality.
– Organizing, coordinating, and supervising the daily activities of all crew members and subcontractors.
-Developing Bill of Quantity (BOQ) based on rehabilitation and construction needs assessment conducted.
– Support the Supply Chain department by providing necessary information on materials specifications that are important to initiate purchase requests and closely following up on the procurement process.
– Ensuring appropriate quality construction materials are procured and used in rehabilitation and construction activities.- Identify and execute best practices concerning the efficient use of construction materials and techniques.
– Closely work with the Project Team at different levels, Finance, Supply Chain, and M and E departments for results.
– Ensure proper utilization of construction resources at construction sites by employing necessary monitoring techniques to this end.
– Provide weekly progress updates to the Deputy Project Coordinator, Field Office Coordinator, and PlayMatters Education manager.
– Regularly review construction schedules to alert contractors / skilled workers of possible delays and consequences.
– Conduct quality Inspection of all construction/maintenance works and share the inspection result with the Deputy Project Coordinator, Field Office Coordinator, and Play Matters Education manager.
– In collaboration with the project team, coordinate and lead regular joint monitoring visits to construction sites with key partners and beneficiaries.
– Ensure completed works are properly handed over to beneficiaries in the presence of relevant authorities.
· Provide guidance to contractors and skilled workers as required.
· Ensuring school and community play spaces rehabilitation activities adhere to agreed technical standards, and specifications agreed upon.
· Conduct supportive supervision of contractors and skilled workers on a regular basis.
· Develop and maintain effective working relationships with key stakeholders including government actors, national and state-level education clusters, international and local NGOs, and other relevant actors.
· Represent IRC to local communities, government departments, international agencies, and local partners as required.
o A minimum of 3 years of relevant work experience.
o Experience in supervision and management of construction activities in emergency settings.
o Must have a proven track record of proactively identifying and communicating potential problems and proposing solutions.
o Fluency in English and Amharic (both written and oral).
o Knowledge of Af-Somali is an asset.
Skills And Abilities:
o Excellent organizational skills with proven ability to manage and absorb large amounts of information and prioritize work.
o Should be a strong collaborator with effective interpersonal skills and the capability to manage conflicting views.
o Must be able to function effectively in a fast-paced and challenging work environment and to work with competing priorities.
o Proficient in MS Office Suite and different construction engineering applications.
o Commitment to the IRC’s mission, purpose, and values.
o Bachelor in construction management, civil engineering, or related fields of study from a recognized institution.
How to Apply
Candidates meeting the above qualifications are encouraged to apply only through the below IRC online recruitment website: CLICK HERE
Please include 3 references from current and former employers.
Applications will not be returned. IRC discourages phone calls or personal visits.
Only applicants meeting the minimum qualification will be short-listed and contacted.
Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
Your application letter/cover letter must include the following information.
· Name of the position you have applied for
· Date of application
· Summary of your qualifications and experience
· Motivation/objective of why you have applied for the job
· Permanent Address and present address (if different from permanent) and telephone number, if possible, also email address
· Disclose any family relationships with existing IRC employees.
IRC is an equal employment opportunity employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability.
Professional Standards: The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies
Join Our Telegram if You did not join it Already
Join us on Telegram ስራዎችን በቴሌግራም ለመከታተል ይህንን ይጫኑ
Stay in Touch and follow us on our Social Media Platforms to Get the Latest Updates for the Latest opportunities: Facebook
Interested applicants can apply before the closing date of the application. For more information please read the full article
Deadline: Sep 11, 2023