Brief description about the scholarship:
The DAAD scholarships present an opportunity for graduates from developing and newly industrialized nations to pursue a postgraduate or Master’s degree at a German university that is recognized by the state. Candidates from various fields, with a minimum of two years’ work experience, are eligible to apply. In rare instances, exceptional candidates may also have the chance to pursue a doctoral degree and attain a university qualification (Master’s/PhD) in Germany.
Level/Field(s) of Study:
The academic programs offered by the DAAD scholarships cover a wide range of disciplines, including:
- Economic Sciences/Business Administration/Political Economics
- Development Cooperation
- Engineering and Related Sciences
- Regional and Urban Planning
- Agricultural and Forest Sciences
- Natural and Environmental Sciences
- Medicine and Public Health
- Social Sciences, Education, and Law
- Media Studies
German Universities offering development-related postgraduate courses
Students from eligible countries
The scholarship provides various benefits and support for the recipients:
- Monthly stipend: Graduates will receive 861 euros per month, while doctoral candidates will be granted 1,200 euros per month.
- Insurance coverage: Health, accident, and personal liability insurance expenses will be covered.
- Travel allowance: Scholars will receive financial assistance for travel expenses unless these costs are already covered by their home country or another funding source.
As for the duration of the scholarship:
- For Master’s degree candidates, the scholarship duration is typically between 12 to 24 months, depending on the specific institution or program.
- For PhD candidates, the scholarship period extends to 42 months, allowing ample time for research and completion of the doctoral degree.
To be eligible for the scholarship, the applicant should typically meet the following criteria:
- Employment: The candidate must currently work for a public authority, state, or private company in a developing country, engaged in planning and executing directives and projects related to development policies in technological, economic, or social areas.
- Educational Background: Hold a Bachelor’s degree (typically four years) in a relevant subject.
- Academic Excellence: Demonstrate exceptional academic performance, ranking in the upper third of their graduating class, and possess at least two years of relevant professional experience after obtaining their Bachelor’s degree at the time of application.
- Recency of Degrees: The applicant’s academic degrees should generally not be more than six years old.
- Language Proficiency (German): For study courses conducted in German, candidates must pass the language examination DSH 2 or TestDaF 4 before commencing the study course. Therefore, a minimum German language level of B1 at the time of application is required and must be verified by providing a certificate.
- Language Proficiency (English): For courses conducted in English, applicants must provide proof of adequate language skills as per the regulations of the respective courses.
Meeting these eligibility requirements will qualify the candidate to apply for the DAAD scholarship.
To apply for the DAAD scholarship, follow these steps:
- Direct Application: Submit your application directly to the respective course or program you wish to enroll in. Visit the course websites to find the application procedure, application deadline, and required documents.
- Check Deadlines: Application deadlines may vary depending on the course, but they generally fall around August to October 2023
- Gather Information: Read the FAQs and the 2024/2025 brochure , and visit the official website (provided below) for comprehensive details on the scholarship and the application process
- Access Application Form: Visit the official scholarship website mentioned below to access the application form and gather all necessary information on the scholarship.
- Official Scholarship Website: https://www2.daad.de/deutschland/stipendium/datenbank/en/21148-scholarship-database/?status=3&origin=190&subjectGrps=F&daad=&intention=&q=&page=1&detail=50076777